Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 – Email Templates

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 – Email Templates

A client reported an issue they where experiencing with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 when trying to add an email template to an email.

 

The Problem:

“One of our users has always used a number of email templates for sending emails to clients.

This function now generates an error stating to contact an administrator”

 

 

The Investigation:

  1. At first I tried to duplicate the error and could not on any other user account. So it was limited to this specific user.
  2. Then I had the user login to another machine with the her Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 credentials. Same problem, so now we know the issue is not specific to the users machine.
  3. I checked user permissions and found that the organizations security roles had become…. unorganized …. and needed cleaned up so I restructured their permission and found that the reported problem had nothing to do with permissions. Even with the user assigned to an administrator role in Microsoft Dynamics 2013 she was unable to add an email template.
  4. d

 

Results:

The problem is that the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 user can not add any Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 email templates to an email created within Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013.

The problem is specific to a single user and not specific to any particular hardware.

The issue occurred when the user was assigned both minimal and administrator Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Security Roles.

 

 

The Solution:

Finally after scouring the web I found this article https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117/t/85563?pi51685=2#responses  and a response from SergeyT in Ukraine, Kyiv stating that he was able to resolve a similar issue with the following SQL statement

UPDATE [UserEntityUISettings]
SET InsertIntoEmailMRUXml = NULL
WHERE [ObjectTypeCode] = 2010
AND [OwningUser] = '<UserId>'

 

In my case the field [OwningUser] needed to be modified to [OwnerId] so my query would be

 

UPDATE [UserEntityUISettings]
SET InsertIntoEmailMRUXml = NULL
WHERE [ObjectTypeCode] = 2010
AND [OwnerId] = '<UserId>'

 

 

NOTE:  As always Do not forget to make back up before running a query of this nature

 

I can confirm this fixed our issue. After running a quick Select statement I found that there was only 1 record that matched the where statement [ObjectTypeCode] = 2010 AND [OwningUser] = ‘<UserId>’

 

So running the update statement had minimal risk of damage in my case and so I made a quick backup of the to be modified field and ran the query. It worked immediately the user was able to add email templates to her emails from within Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 with no issues.

 

 

Hope this helps anyone dealing with a similar issue.

 

Final Note:

The above process should work for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011, Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013, and Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015

 

 

Disclaimer:

This solution worked in my case and I offer it to you at your own risk. I am not familiar with your particular setup and/or configuration so can in no way be held accountable for the results you experience. ALWAYS make backups before running queries that modify records against the server.

If you need help reach out and let’s talk.

 

 

 

 

 

Add comment